Game Studies covers the artistic, cultural, social, psychological and economic significance of games. This section includes links to academic studies, journals, news articles, conferences, associations, and related information on game culture and research. Game Studies Games.
- Wikipedia: Game studies is the study of games, the act of playing them, and the players and cultures surrounding them. It is a discipline of [cultural studies] that deals with all types of games throughout history. This field of research utilizes the tactics of, at least, anthropology, sociology and psychology, while examining aspects of the design of the game, the players in the game, and finally, the role the game plays in its society or culture. Game studies is oftentimes confused with the study of video games, but this is only one area of focus; in reality game studies encompasses all types of gaming, including sports, board games, etc.
- Art game - An art game is a work of interactive new media digital software art as well as a member of the "art game" subgenre of the serious video game.
- Video game art - Video game art is a specialized form of computer art employing video games as the artistic medium.
- Video games as an art form - The concept of video games as a form of art is a controversial topic within the entertainment industry.
- Media studies
- Video game culture
- Virtual Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games www
Virtual exhibits from the University of Waterloo, Avedon Museum and Archive of Games, Ottawa, Canada. Dedicated to research and the collection, preservation, and exhibition of games and game-related objects. Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games.
- Contains Artificial Life Game www
Contains useful links to resources and studies of artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- Offers The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry www
Offers information and analysis about the video and computer game industry in Canada. Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry. Produced by a group of researchers in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry.
- Annotated Interactive Fiction www
Annotated bibliography and several scholarly articles about interactive fiction, Fiction, by Dennis G. Jerz. Interactive Fiction.
- Findings Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest www
Findings of a major study of EverQuest players including data on and discussions of demographics, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest, statistics, psychology, charts, addiction, gender differences, gender bending, relationships, romance and guilds. Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest.
- Providing DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research www
Providing strategic market research and statistics on the video game, Intelligence: Game Industry Research, interactive entertainment and interactive broadcasting industries. DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research.
- A Satellite Uplink www
A collection of insights that put video games inside a broader cultural and aesthetic framework. Uplink. E-book available for download. Satellite Uplink.
- Offers Game Research www
Offers news and research information on the development and social impact of computer games, Research, and the Games Research mailing list. Game Research.
- A Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive www
A collection of fulltext research articles on MUDs by different researchers. Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive.
- A Game Liberation www
A game about game theory by Jesper Juul. Game Liberation.
- Articles Artificial Life Game www
Articles and inform information on artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- One Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay www
One man, A Quest For Gameplay, on a motorcycle, around the world, in a quest for gameplay. A mission to explore and record culture through games. Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay.
- Examine Learning Games Initiative www
Examine computer games (arcade, Games Initiative, console, PC, and handheld) in order to better understand their cultural and pedagogical import. Based in Tucson, AZ. Learning Games Initiative.
- Sponsored Games For Health www
Sponsored by the Serious Games Initiative. For Health. Develops a community and best practices platform for the numerous games being built for health care applications. Games For Health.
- Website Dungeon & Dreamers www
Website for book of the same name. & Dreamers. Includes sample chapter and individual pages for authors Brad King and John Borland. Dungeon & Dreamers.
- Ludology Game Game www
Ludology meets Understanding Comics. Game. A card game about game studies by Aki Järvinen. Game Game.
- Abstract Anderson, Craig A. and Karen E. Dill. "Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life" www
Abstract of article showing increased aggression in video game players. Craig A. and Karen E. Dill. "Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life". Full text by subscription. Anderson, Craig A. and Karen E. Dill. "Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life".
- Abstract Castronova, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier www
Abstract of report on the economy of Everquest, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier, arguing that this virtual world has as real an economy as most nation states. Full text by subscription only. Castronova, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier.
- Tampere, Computer Games and Digital Cultures www
Tampere, Games and Digital Cultures, Finland. Aesthetic, narrative and structural issues as well as bridging academia and industry. Programme and general conference information. Computer Games and Digital Cultures.
- Magelis, 7th International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems www
Magelis, International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems, Angoulême, France.The Conference encompasses all topics related to computer games design and development. 7th International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems.
- Website Public school teacher using games in the classroom www
Website of Bill MacKenty, school teacher using games in the classroom, technology teacher at a traditional public school using video games in the classroom. Provides strategies for using games in teaching, including notes on assessment, and supplies pedagogically specific reviews of video games. Public school teacher using games in the classroom.
- A History of Computer Game Design www
A course at Stanford that provides a historical and critical approach to the evolution of computer and video game design. Computer Game Design. Syllabus and course notes. History of Computer Game Design.
- History, The Online Guide to Traditional Games www
History, Online Guide to Traditional Games, links and current information about traditional games from around the world. The Online Guide to Traditional Games.
- Recreated Medieval and Renaissance Games www
Recreated rules of historical games with links. Medieval and Renaissance Games.
- Peer-reviewed, Game Studies www
Peer-reviewed, Studies, scholarly journal on computer games. Articles focus on aesthetic, cultural and communicative aspects of computer games. Game Studies.
- An Board Games Studies www
An academic journal for historical and systematic research on board games. Games Studies. Includes information on individual issues, subscriptions, and other resources. Board Games Studies.
- University Aarseth, Espen www
University of Bergen. Espen. Editor in chief of Gamestudies.org and the originator of cybertext theory. The first chapter of his book, Cybertext, is available, as are a few other early articles. Aarseth, Espen.
- Articles, Dekoven, Bernie www
Articles, Bernie, links, and weblog chronicling personal search for games and toys, ideas and innovations, people and events that enhance our capacity for having fun. Dekoven, Bernie.
- Alexa: Game Studies Games
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Game Studies Games
- DMOZ: Game Studies Games
dmoz.org Directory: Game Studies Games