Game Studies covers the artistic, cultural, social, psychological and economic significance of games. This section includes links to academic studies, journals, news articles, conferences, associations, and related information on game culture and research. Game Studies Games.
- Wikipedia: Game studies, or ludology, is the study of games, the act of playing them, and the players and cultures surrounding them. It is a discipline of cultural studies that deals with all types of games throughout history. This field of research utilizes the tactics of, at least, anthropology, sociology and psychology, while examining aspects of the design of the game, the players in the game, and finally, the role the game plays in its society or culture. Game studies is oftentimes confused with the study of video games, but this is only one area of focus; in reality game studies encompasses all types of gaming, including sports, board games, etc.
- Media studies
- Video game culture
- One Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay www
One man, A Quest For Gameplay, on a motorcycle, around the world, in a quest for gameplay. A mission to explore and record culture through games. Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay.
- Articles Artificial Life Game www
Articles and inform information on artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- Website Dungeon & Dreamers www
Website for book of the same name. & Dreamers. Includes sample chapter and individual pages for authors Brad King and John Borland. Dungeon & Dreamers.
- Contains Artificial Life Game www
Contains useful links to resources and studies of artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- Annotated Interactive Fiction www
Annotated bibliography and several scholarly articles about interactive fiction, Fiction, by Dennis G. Jerz. Interactive Fiction.
- Examine Learning Games Initiative www
Examine computer games (arcade, Games Initiative, console, PC, and handheld) in order to better understand their cultural and pedagogical import. Based in Tucson, AZ. Learning Games Initiative.
- Virtual Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games www
Virtual exhibits from the University of Waterloo, Avedon Museum and Archive of Games, Ottawa, Canada. Dedicated to research and the collection, preservation, and exhibition of games and game-related objects. Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games.
- Offers Game Research www
Offers news and research information on the development and social impact of computer games, Research, and the Games Research mailing list. Game Research.
- Sponsored Games For Health www
Sponsored by the Serious Games Initiative. For Health. Develops a community and best practices platform for the numerous games being built for health care applications. Games For Health.
- Findings Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest www
Findings of a major study of EverQuest players including data on and discussions of demographics, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest, statistics, psychology, charts, addiction, gender differences, gender bending, relationships, romance and guilds. Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest.
- Ludology Game Game www
Ludology meets Understanding Comics. Game. A card game about game studies by Aki Järvinen. Game Game.
- Providing DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research www
Providing strategic market research and statistics on the video game, Intelligence: Game Industry Research, interactive entertainment and interactive broadcasting industries. DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research.
- Offers The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry www
Offers information and analysis about the video and computer game industry in Canada. Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry. Produced by a group of researchers in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry.
- A Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive www
A collection of fulltext research articles on MUDs by different researchers. Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive.
- A Satellite Uplink www
A collection of insights that put video games inside a broader cultural and aesthetic framework. Uplink. E-book available for download. Satellite Uplink.
- A Game Liberation www
A game about game theory by Jesper Juul. Game Liberation.
- Essay Friedman, Ted. "Making Sense of Software: Computer Games and Interactive Textuality" www
Essay about video games including an analysis of SimCity written by Ted Friedman. Friedman, Ted. "Making Sense of Software: Computer Games and Interactive Textuality".
- Quick Goldstein, Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?" www
Quick and very sharp critique of the validity of recent research on video games and violence. Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?". Goldstein, Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?".
- Computational Cosign Conference www
Computational Semiotics for Games and New Media: explores how semiotics can be used in creating and analysing games and new media. Cosign Conference.
- National Computer and Video Games Come of Age www
National conference held at MIT in 2000. and Video Games Come of Age. Full transcripts of sessions on games as interactive storytelling, aesthetics, and game design. Computer and Video Games Come of Age.
- Applied Trans-Reality Game Lab www
Applied research lab specifically looking at game form. Game Lab. Part of the Interactive Institute (Sweden). Trans-Reality Game Lab.
- A History of Computer Game Design www
A course at Stanford that provides a historical and critical approach to the evolution of computer and video game design. Computer Game Design. Syllabus and course notes. History of Computer Game Design.
- Recreated Medieval and Renaissance Games www
Recreated rules of historical games with links. Medieval and Renaissance Games.
- History, The Online Guide to Traditional Games www
History, Online Guide to Traditional Games, links and current information about traditional games from around the world. The Online Guide to Traditional Games.
- Peer-reviewed, Game Studies www
Peer-reviewed, Studies, scholarly journal on computer games. Articles focus on aesthetic, cultural and communicative aspects of computer games. Game Studies.
- Offers International Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS) www
Offers research articles in the areas of computer games development and simulation. Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS). International Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS).
- Interactive Pearce, Celia www
Interactive media designer who has also written on games. Celia. Papers and descriptions of projects are available. Pearce, Celia.
- Gotland Eladhari, Mirjam www
Gotland University in Sweden and University of Teesside in England. Mirjam. Personal weblog and notes for Ph.D. work on MMORPGs. Eladhari, Mirjam.
- Alexa: Game Studies Games
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Game Studies Games
- DMOZ: Game Studies Games
dmoz.org Directory: Game Studies Games