Game Studies covers the artistic, cultural, social, psychological and economic significance of games. This section includes links to academic studies, journals, news articles, conferences, associations, and related information on game culture and research. Game Studies Games.
- Wikipedia: Game studies, or ludology, is the study of games, the act of playing them, and the players and cultures surrounding them. It is a discipline of cultural studies that deals with all types of games throughout history. This field of research utilizes the tactics of, at least, anthropology, sociology and psychology, while examining aspects of the design of the game, the players in the game, and finally, the role the game plays in its society or culture. Game studies is oftentimes confused with the study of video games, but this is only one area of focus; in reality game studies encompasses all types of gaming, including sports, board games, etc.
- Media studies
- Video game culture
- Website Dungeon & Dreamers www
Website for book of the same name. & Dreamers. Includes sample chapter and individual pages for authors Brad King and John Borland. Dungeon & Dreamers.
- Ludology Game Game www
Ludology meets Understanding Comics. Game. A card game about game studies by Aki Järvinen. Game Game.
- Offers Game Research www
Offers news and research information on the development and social impact of computer games, Research, and the Games Research mailing list. Game Research.
- Virtual Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games www
Virtual exhibits from the University of Waterloo, Avedon Museum and Archive of Games, Ottawa, Canada. Dedicated to research and the collection, preservation, and exhibition of games and game-related objects. Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games.
- Examine Learning Games Initiative www
Examine computer games (arcade, Games Initiative, console, PC, and handheld) in order to better understand their cultural and pedagogical import. Based in Tucson, AZ. Learning Games Initiative.
- Articles Artificial Life Game www
Articles and inform information on artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- One Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay www
One man, A Quest For Gameplay, on a motorcycle, around the world, in a quest for gameplay. A mission to explore and record culture through games. Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay.
- Offers The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry www
Offers information and analysis about the video and computer game industry in Canada. Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry. Produced by a group of researchers in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry.
- Findings Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest www
Findings of a major study of EverQuest players including data on and discussions of demographics, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest, statistics, psychology, charts, addiction, gender differences, gender bending, relationships, romance and guilds. Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest.
- Contains Artificial Life Game www
Contains useful links to resources and studies of artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- Providing DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research www
Providing strategic market research and statistics on the video game, Intelligence: Game Industry Research, interactive entertainment and interactive broadcasting industries. DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research.
- Annotated Interactive Fiction www
Annotated bibliography and several scholarly articles about interactive fiction, Fiction, by Dennis G. Jerz. Interactive Fiction.
- Sponsored Games For Health www
Sponsored by the Serious Games Initiative. For Health. Develops a community and best practices platform for the numerous games being built for health care applications. Games For Health.
- A Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive www
A collection of fulltext research articles on MUDs by different researchers. Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive.
- A Satellite Uplink www
A collection of insights that put video games inside a broader cultural and aesthetic framework. Uplink. E-book available for download. Satellite Uplink.
- A Game Liberation www
A game about game theory by Jesper Juul. Game Liberation.
- Essay Friedman, Ted. "Making Sense of Software: Computer Games and Interactive Textuality" www
Essay about video games including an analysis of SimCity written by Ted Friedman. Friedman, Ted. "Making Sense of Software: Computer Games and Interactive Textuality".
- Abstract Castronova, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier www
Abstract of report on the economy of Everquest, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier, arguing that this virtual world has as real an economy as most nation states. Full text by subscription only. Castronova, Edward: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier.
- National Computer and Video Games Come of Age www
National conference held at MIT in 2000. and Video Games Come of Age. Full transcripts of sessions on games as interactive storytelling, aesthetics, and game design. Computer and Video Games Come of Age.
- Tampere, Computer Games and Digital Cultures www
Tampere, Games and Digital Cultures, Finland. Aesthetic, narrative and structural issues as well as bridging academia and industry. Programme and general conference information. Computer Games and Digital Cultures.
- Taught Simulations and Gaming, Indiana University www
Taught by Kurt Squire. and Gaming, Indiana University. Syllabus, schedule, assignments. Simulations and Gaming, Indiana University.
- Home Exploratory Learning Through Simulation and Games www
Home page of EDTEC 670 course at San Diego State University. Exploratory Learning Through Simulation and Games.
- History, The Online Guide to Traditional Games www
History, Online Guide to Traditional Games, links and current information about traditional games from around the world. The Online Guide to Traditional Games.
- Recreated Medieval and Renaissance Games www
Recreated rules of historical games with links. Medieval and Renaissance Games.
- Peer-reviewed, Game Studies www
Peer-reviewed, Studies, scholarly journal on computer games. Articles focus on aesthetic, cultural and communicative aspects of computer games. Game Studies.
- An Board Games Studies www
An academic journal for historical and systematic research on board games. Games Studies. Includes information on individual issues, subscriptions, and other resources. Board Games Studies.
- Research Yee, Nicholas www
Research is both quantative and qualitative, Nicholas, and is particularly centred on players of EverQuest and other Massive Multi-Player Online Games. Yee, Nicholas.
- Aalborg Konzack, Lars www
Aalborg University. Lars. Research on computer games and ludology. Weblog and articles. Konzack, Lars.
- Alexa: Game Studies Games
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Game Studies Games
- DMOZ: Game Studies Games
dmoz.org Directory: Game Studies Games