Game Studies covers the artistic, cultural, social, psychological and economic significance of games. This section includes links to academic studies, journals, news articles, conferences, associations, and related information on game culture and research. Game Studies Games.
- Wikipedia: Game studies is the study of games, the act of playing them, and the players and cultures surrounding them. It is a discipline of cultural studies that deals with all types of games throughout history. This field of research utilizes the tactics of, at least, anthropology, sociology and psychology, while examining aspects of the design of the game, the players in the game, and finally, the role the game plays in its society or culture. Game studies is oftentimes confused with the study of video games, but this is only one area of focus; in reality game studies encompasses all types of gaming, including sports, board games, etc.
- Art game - An art game is a work of interactive new media digital software art as well as a member of the "art game" subgenre of the serious video game.
- Video game art - Video game art is a specialized form of computer art employing video games as the artistic medium.
- Video games as an art form - The concept of video games as a form of art is a controversial topic within the entertainment industry.
- Media studies
- Video game culture
- A Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive www
A collection of fulltext research articles on MUDs by different researchers. Richard A. Bartle: MUD Writings Archive.
- Contains Artificial Life Game www
Contains useful links to resources and studies of artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- Offers The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry www
Offers information and analysis about the video and computer game industry in Canada. Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry. Produced by a group of researchers in the Faculty of Information and Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. The Canadian Video Game and Computer Industry.
- Website Dungeon & Dreamers www
Website for book of the same name. & Dreamers. Includes sample chapter and individual pages for authors Brad King and John Borland. Dungeon & Dreamers.
- Offers Game Research www
Offers news and research information on the development and social impact of computer games, Research, and the Games Research mailing list. Game Research.
- A Game Liberation www
A game about game theory by Jesper Juul. Game Liberation.
- Sponsored Games For Health www
Sponsored by the Serious Games Initiative. For Health. Develops a community and best practices platform for the numerous games being built for health care applications. Games For Health.
- Findings Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest www
Findings of a major study of EverQuest players including data on and discussions of demographics, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest, statistics, psychology, charts, addiction, gender differences, gender bending, relationships, romance and guilds. Yee, Nicholas - The Norrathian Scrolls: A Study of EverQuest.
- Ludology Game Game www
Ludology meets Understanding Comics. Game. A card game about game studies by Aki Järvinen. Game Game.
- Virtual Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games www
Virtual exhibits from the University of Waterloo, Avedon Museum and Archive of Games, Ottawa, Canada. Dedicated to research and the collection, preservation, and exhibition of games and game-related objects. Elliott Avedon Museum and Archive of Games.
- Examine Learning Games Initiative www
Examine computer games (arcade, Games Initiative, console, PC, and handheld) in order to better understand their cultural and pedagogical import. Based in Tucson, AZ. Learning Games Initiative.
- Articles Artificial Life Game www
Articles and inform information on artificial life games. Artificial Life Game.
- A Satellite Uplink www
A collection of insights that put video games inside a broader cultural and aesthetic framework. Uplink. E-book available for download. Satellite Uplink.
- Annotated Interactive Fiction www
Annotated bibliography and several scholarly articles about interactive fiction, Fiction, by Dennis G. Jerz. Interactive Fiction.
- One Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay www
One man, A Quest For Gameplay, on a motorcycle, around the world, in a quest for gameplay. A mission to explore and record culture through games. Globaltimoto : A Quest For Gameplay.
- Providing DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research www
Providing strategic market research and statistics on the video game, Intelligence: Game Industry Research, interactive entertainment and interactive broadcasting industries. DFC Intelligence: Game Industry Research.
- Argues Kennerly, David. "Fun is Fine: Toward a Philosophy of Game Design" www
Argues that honest game design begins and ends with "fun" considered philosophically. Kennerly, David. "Fun is Fine: Toward a Philosophy of Game Design".
- Quick Goldstein, Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?" www
Quick and very sharp critique of the validity of recent research on video games and violence. Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?". Goldstein, Jeffrey. "Does Playing Violent Video Games Cause Aggressive Behavior?".
- Magelis, 7th International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems www
Magelis, International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems, Angoulême, France.The Conference encompasses all topics related to computer games design and development. 7th International Conference on Computer Games: Animation, Mobile and Educational Systems.
- Computational Cosign Conference www
Computational Semiotics for Games and New Media: explores how semiotics can be used in creating and analysing games and new media. Cosign Conference.
- Website Public school teacher using games in the classroom www
Website of Bill MacKenty, school teacher using games in the classroom, technology teacher at a traditional public school using video games in the classroom. Provides strategies for using games in teaching, including notes on assessment, and supplies pedagogically specific reviews of video games. Public school teacher using games in the classroom.
- Taught Simulations and Gaming, Indiana University www
Taught by Kurt Squire. and Gaming, Indiana University. Syllabus, schedule, assignments. Simulations and Gaming, Indiana University.
- Short The History of Bingo www
Short look at how Bingo came to be, History of Bingo, dating back to 16th century in Italy. The History of Bingo.
- History, The Online Guide to Traditional Games www
History, Online Guide to Traditional Games, links and current information about traditional games from around the world. The Online Guide to Traditional Games.
- Offers International Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS) www
Offers research articles in the areas of computer games development and simulation. Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS). International Journal of Intelligent Games & Simulation (IJIGS).
- An Board Games Studies www
An academic journal for historical and systematic research on board games. Games Studies. Includes information on individual issues, subscriptions, and other resources. Board Games Studies.
- IT Juul, Jesper www
IT University of Copenhagen. Jesper. Articles, reviews, thesis, games. Juul, Jesper.
- Aalborg Konzack, Lars www
Aalborg University. Lars. Research on computer games and ludology. Weblog and articles. Konzack, Lars.
- Alexa: Game Studies Games
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Game Studies Games
- DMOZ: Game Studies Games
dmoz.org Directory: Game Studies Games