Created as "Number Place" in the 1970s, this logic puzzle gained mass popularity in Japan in the 1980s. "Sudoku", or "Su Doku", is Japanese for "number singly." In 2005 it gained great appeal in the United Kingdom and is rapidly expanding to the rest of the Western Hemisphere. The aim of the puzzle is to place a number from 1-9 in every square in the grid so that every row, column and 3x3 "region" includes each number once only. While numbers are most often used, this is only for simplicity. No math is required, only logic. There are also variants using letters or symbols, different-sized grids, overlapping grids, and other variations. Sudoku Brain Teasers Puzzles Games.
French newspapers featured variations of the puzzles in the 19th century, and the puzzle has appeared since 1979 in puzzle books under the name Number Place. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Sudoku is a logic-based, combinatorial number-placement puzzle. The objective is to fill a 9 9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3 3 subgrids that compose the grid contains all of the digits from 1 to 9. The puzzle setter provides a partially completed grid, which for a well-posed puzzle has a single solution.
- Sudoku Category
- 36 Cube - The 36 Cube is a three-dimensional sudoku puzzle created by ThinkFun. The puzzle consists of a gray base that resembles a city skyline, plus 36 colored towers. The towers come in six different colors and six different heights.
- Blendoku - Blendoku is a free puzzle video game for Android and iOS mobile devices developed by Rod Green and Yeong-Hao Han. In Blendoku, players are given a grid of squares, some with colors provided, some not. A palette of additional color tiles is provided.
- Constraint satisfaction problem - Constraint satisfaction problems are mathematical questions defined as a set of objects whose state must satisfy a number of constraints or limitations.
- Futoshiki - Futoshiki, or More or Less, is a logic puzzle game from Japan. Its name means "inequality". It is also spelled hutosiki.
- Glossary of Sudoku - This is a glossary of Sudoku terms and jargon. It is organized thematically, with links to references and example usage provided as. Sudoku with a 9 9 grid is assumed, unless otherwise noted.
- Hashiwokakero - Hashiwokakero is a type of logic puzzle published by Nikoli. It has also been published in English under the name Bridges or Chopsticks. It has also appeared in The Times under the name Hashi. In France, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Belgium it is published under the name Ai-Ki-Ai.
- Latin squares
- NP-complete problems
- Logic puzzles
- Offers Daily Sudoku www
Offers a different printable puzzle each day. Sudoku. Also includes solutions and FAQ. Daily Sudoku.
- Enjoy Mister Sudoku www
Enjoy from a wide array of Sudoku variants including Killer and Jigsaw. Sudoku. Available on iPhone / Mac / Facebook. Mister Sudoku.
- Sudoku Sudoku As www
Sudoku solver for all your puzzles. As. Offers free puzzles at 3 levels of difficulty (easy, normal, hard) and a practical stopwatch. Sudoku As.
- This Flying Frog Consultancy www
This web page describes a 19-line (769-byte) OCaml program that solves Sudoku puzzles. Flying Frog Consultancy.
- A Sudoku Scratch Pad and Daily Sudoku www
A scratch pad to help you fill in a Sudoku puzzle. Scratch Pad and Daily Sudoku. You still have to solve it yourself. Every day, you get three fresh Sudokus. Sudoku Scratch Pad and Daily Sudoku.
- A SudokuBoom www
A free web-based sudoku puzzle with 40 difficulty levels and tournament competition. SudokuBoom. Interface in English, French, and Russian. SudokuBoom.
- Free Sudoweb www
Free daily puzzles with five difficulty levels. Sudoweb. Also offers printable e-book. Sudoweb.
- Easy Printable sudoku puzzles www
Easy printing of 6 sudokus per page. Printable sudoku puzzles.
- An Wikipedia: Sudoku www
An encyclopedia entry describing the rules, Sudoku, history, strategies and variants of Sudoku. Notes that these are a type of "Latin square" which have been analyzed since ancient times. Wikipedia: Sudoku.
- Flash Play Sudoku www
Flash version of the Sudoku game. Sudoku. Also offers solution. Play Sudoku.
- Generates SuDoKu-Cracker www
Generates Sudoku and Wordoku puzzles with seven different levels of difficulty. SuDoKu-Cracker. All puzzles can be printed, exported, and saved. SuDoKu-Cracker.
- Play Sudoku www
Play sudoku puzzles online for free. Sudoku.
- History, Sudoku www
History, Sudoku, instructions, variants and puzzles in four difficulty levels (PDF format). [German/French/English/Spanish/Italian] Sudoku.
- Offers Sudoku Puzzles www
Offers four difficulty levels. Puzzles. The puzzles can be solved online or downloaded as a PDF file. [English/German/French/Spanish/Dutch/Portuguese/Italian] Sudoku Puzzles.
- Offers Puzzle Bus www
Offers a daily puzzle, Bus, books, software, and related merchandise. Also offers puzzles for syndication. Puzzle Bus.
- Daily Playr Sudoku www
- Offers Vegard Hanssen's page www
Offers a database of crafted puzzles, Hanssen's page, organized by difficulty. Also offers FAQ and forum. [Norwegian/English] Vegard Hanssen's page.
- Offers Daily SuDoku www
Offers daily printable puzzles of varying difficulties, SuDoku, including Sudoku for Kids. Also offers archive of past puzzles, tool for rendering custom puzzles, FAQ, and books for purchase. Daily SuDoku.
- Article The Economist: Do you sudoku? www
Article on the puzzle's popularity in the United Kingdom and elsewhere. Economist: Do you sudoku?. The Economist: Do you sudoku?.
- Offers Sudoku Place www
Offers daily puzzle in PDF format. Place. Includes archive, FAQ, and a "dozen" variant. Sudoku Place.
- Free SudokusWeb www
Free daily printable Sudokus. SudokusWeb. Also offers history, rules, and solving techniques. [English/Spanish/French/Catalan/German/Portuguese/Korean/Japanese] SudokusWeb.
- Offers 9x9, 6x6 and Samurai Sudoku www
Offers classic Sudoku and variants, 6x6 and Samurai Sudoku, as well as an online solver. 9x9, 6x6 and Samurai Sudoku.
- Endless SudokuPower www
Endless Supply of Free Sudoku Puzzle At Any Level You Might Appreciate. SudokuPower. Includes an advanced hinting and solving module. SudokuPower.
- SuDokuMate SuDokuMate www
SuDokuMate is a SuDoku Helper (not a Solver) that replaces pencil and paper to aid solving. SuDokuMate.
- Free, Sudoku Puzzler www
Free, Puzzler, daily Sudoku puzzles to print or play online. Sudoku Puzzler.
- Several Sudoku enumeration www
Several programs in different languages for analyzing possible Sudoku combinations. Sudoku enumeration.
- Today's The Daily Sudoku www
Today's daily Sudoku puzzle from www. Daily Sudoku.dailysudoku.co.uk. The Daily Sudoku.
- Offers Prize Sudoku www
Offers competitions for prizes. Sudoku. Traditional Sudoku, Godoku (letters) and Super Sudoku (16x16). Prize Sudoku.
- A Minimum Sudoku www
A project collecting Sudoku with the smallest number of givens that are still uniquely solvable. Sudoku. Offers the puzzle for download in text format. Minimum Sudoku.
- Free SudokusWeb.com www
Free daily printable Sudokus. SudokusWeb.com. Also offers history, rules, and solving techniques. [English/Spanish/French/Catalan/German/Portuguese] SudokusWeb.com.
- Free Sudoku Online Solver www
Free online generator, Online Solver, solver, and helper. [English/French/Spanish/Polish] Sudoku Online Solver.
- Sudoku Sudoku Workplace www
Sudoku Workplace will generate and help you solve Sudoku puzzles of multiple dimensions and difficulties on your computer and even let you manage your own pencil marks. Sudoku Workplace.
- Shows Sudoku Solver by Andrew Stuart www
Shows the logic behind solving sample games square by square. Sudoku Solver by Andrew Stuart.
- Offers Yosmany.net www
- Step Solving Sudoku www
Step by step guide to solving sudoku puzzles. Sudoku. Goes from basic to advanced techniques. Solving Sudoku.
- Free Freedoku www
Free online sudoku. Freedoku. Offers online game on 5 difficulty levels, changeable skins and printing up to 4 sudoku boards on one sheet of paper. Freedoku.
- Includes Sudoku Online www
Includes Sudoku tips and strategies as well as a downloadable game and a 3D Sudoku puzzle. Sudoku Online.
- Free Sudoku Puzzles www
Free daily puzzles with five difficulty levels with their solutions. Puzzles. Also offers guide to solve Sudoku puzzles. Sudoku Puzzles.
- Offers Hirofumi Fujiwara's Sudoku www
Offers a tutorial for creating puzzles, Fujiwara's Sudoku, a Java-based solver, and links to other resources. [English/Japanese] Hirofumi Fujiwara's Sudoku.
- Collection Sudoku www
Collection of printable grids, Sudoku, ordered by difficulty level. Solutions provided. Includes rules and solving methods. Sudoku.
- Solves Solve My Sudoku www
Solves puzzles based on inputted information. Solve My Sudoku.
- Offers Free Sudoku Puzzles www
- Article BBC News: The puzzling popularity of Su Doku www
Article by Paula Dear. News: The puzzling popularity of Su Doku. Covers history in Japan and the UK and compares to the Rubik's cube craze of the 80s. BBC News: The puzzling popularity of Su Doku.
- Information World Sudoku Championship www
Information on the 2006 World Sudoku Championship held in Italy. Sudoku Championship. Includes background information, events, results and FAQ. [English, Italian] World Sudoku Championship.
- Article The Guardian: So you thought Sudoku came from the Land of the Rising Sun... www
Article by David Smith covering the puzzle's origins as "Number Place" by Dell Puzzle Magazine in New York in the 1970s. The Guardian: So you thought Sudoku came from the Land of the Rising Sun....
- Sudopedia, Sudopedia www
Sudopedia, Sudopedia, the free Sudoku reference guide and source for in-depth knowledge about the popular game of Sudoku. A MediaWiki site. Sudopedia.
- Provides Sudoku www
Provides sudoku puzzles in easy, Sudoku, medium and hard levels with their solutions. Also provides facility for daily email sudoku newsletter. Sudoku.
- Generates pi-c-it Sudoku www
Generates and solves classic and X-Sudoku problems. Sudoku. Diverse options and an integrated help facility. pi-c-it Sudoku.
- Offers Printable Sudoku Puzzles www
Offers five difficulty levels. Sudoku Puzzles.For each sudoku ,You can print with normal and candidate mode. Printable Sudoku Puzzles.
- Includes Asymmetrical Sudoku www
Includes a generator and solver. Asymmetrical Sudoku.
- A Sudoku Fun Puzzles www
A website representation of Sudoku, Fun Puzzles, the broad sheet newspaper puzzle imported from Japan. Leaderboard lets players compare completion times. Sudoku Fun Puzzles.
- A Sudoku Forum www
A forum for fans as well as people wanting to learn more about Sudoku. Sudoku Forum.
- Discussion Sudoku Programmers Forum www
Discussion forum for developers of programs such as creators, Programmers Forum, helpers, and solvers. Discussions include solving techniques, creating puzzles, mathematics, and variants. Sudoku Programmers Forum.
- New A New Puzzle Challenges Math Skills www
New York Times article by Will Shortz about the development of KenKen and how it is played. A New Puzzle Challenges Math Skills.
- About KenKen.com www
About the game, KenKen.com, how to play, where to find it, and related topics. KenKen.com.
- Shareware Sudoku Dragon www
Shareware puzzle solver. Dragon. Generate and solve puzzles, print out the grid for solving by hand, tips and tutorials with online discussion forums. [Windows XP/2000/Me/98] Sudoku Dragon.
- Sudoku HoDoKu www
Sudoku generator/solver/analyzer written in Java/Swing (English and German). HoDoKu. Lots of human style techniques (singles, subsets, LCs, fish, wings, uniqueness, coloring, chains, ALS), powerful analyzer (manage multiple solutions for one sudoku). HoDoKu.
- Two-player Sudokuto www
Two-player variant. Sudokuto. Offers several board sizes to play against the computer. This site has many other Sudoku variations (e.g., Wordoku, 3D Sudoku, Calcudoku, Greater Than Sudoku, etc.) [English/Norsk] Sudokuto.
- Custom Mathematical Recreations www
Custom Word Doku puzzles devised by Steve Schaefer. Recreations. Features an entire sentence embedded into the puzzle. Mathematical Recreations.
- A The Grey Labyrinth www
A beautifully illustrated collection of puzzles, Grey Labyrinth, riddles, and paradoxes. Features a changing "unsolved puzzle" plus three years worth of previous puzzles. The Grey Labyrinth.
- Paradoxes, Curiouser.co.uk www
Paradoxes, Curiouser.co.uk, puzzles, games, optical illusions, poetry, curious facts, and quotations. Curiouser.co.uk.
- Alexa: Sudoku Brain Teasers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Sudoku Brain Teasers
- DMOZ: Sudoku Brain Teasers
dmoz.org Directory: Sudoku Brain Teasers