This section is for printed acrostic and double crostic word puzzles. Acrostic Crosswords Puzzles Games.
An acrostic is a poem (or other form of writing) in which the first letter (or syllable, or word) of each line (or paragraph, or other recurring feature in the text) spells out a word, message or the alphabet. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An acrostic is a poem in which the first letter of each line spells out a word, message or the alphabet. The word comes from the French acrostiche from post-classical Latin acrostichis, from Koine Greek ??????????, from Ancient Greek ????? "highest, topmost" and ?????? "verse". As a form of constrained writing, an acrostic can be used as a mnemonic device to aid memory retrieval.
- Acronym and initialism - An acronym is a word or name formed as an abbreviation from the initial components in a phrase or a word, usually individual letters and sometimes syllables.
- Backronym - A backronym, or bacronym, is a constructed phrase that purports to be the source of a word that is an acronym. Backronyms may be invented with serious or humorous intent, or may be a type of false etymology or folk etymology.
- Gordon Macdonald, 1st Baron Macdonald of Gwaenysgor (referencing another example of an acrostic).
- Mesostic - A mesostic is a poem or other text arranged so that a vertical phrase intersects lines of horizontal text. It is similar to an acrostic, but with the vertical phrase intersecting somewhere in the midst of the line, as opposed to the beginning of each line.
- Mnemonic - A mnemonic device, or memory device, is any learning technique that aids information retention or retrieval in the human memory.
- O Antiphons - The O Antiphons, also known as The great Os are Magnificat antiphons used at Vespers of the last seven days of Advent in Western Christian traditions. They are also used as the Alleluia verses on the same days in the post-1970 form of the Catholic Mass.
- Graphic poetry
- Word games