Gamebooks are a form of self-contained interactive fiction; you play the part of the hero and make his-her decisions by turning to different pages and reading different sections of the book. The genre includes Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, Lone Wolf, Fighting Fantasy, and other series. Gamebooks are not just rule books, hints, cheats or descriptions of game systems; they are the games themselves. Gamebooks Roleplaying Games.
In all gamebooks, the story is presented as a series of sections of printed text. Branching-plot novel sections often run to several pages in length, whereas RPG and adventure gamebook sections are usually no longer than a paragraph or two. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A gamebook is a work of printed fiction that allows the reader to participate in the story by making choices. The narrative branches along various paths, typically through the use of numbered paragraphs or pages. Gamebooks are sometimes called choose your own adventure books or CYOA after the influential Choose Your Own Adventure series originally published by US company Bantam Books. Gamebooks are an early example of hypertext fiction.
- Adventure game - An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving.
- Interactive novel - The interactive novel is a form of interactive web fiction. In an interactive novel, the reader chooses where to go next in the novel by clicking on a piece of hyperlinked text, such as a page number, a character, or a direction.
- Interactive movie - An interactive movie, also known as a movie game, is a video game that presents the gameplay in a cinematic, scripted manner, often through the use of full-motion video of either animated or live-action footage.
- Visual novel - A visual novel is an interactive game introduced in Japan in the early 1990s, featuring mostly static graphics, most often using anime-style art or occasionally live-action stills. As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels.
- Narrative forms
- Demian's Gamebook www
A list of titles on the web, Gamebook, with reviews and descriptions of many different series.
- A Ring of Thieves www
A free solo adventure in PDF form by S. Thieves. John Ross, using Risus: The Anything RPG for its simple resolution system. Ring of Thieves.
- An The Gamebook Engine www
An open source multi-platform engine for reading and writing gamebooks. Gamebook Engine. Also features Lone Wolf: Flight From the Dark. The Gamebook Engine.
- A Yahoo! Groups: Moloch's Gamebook Garden www
A forum for discussion of gamebooks in general. Yahoo! Groups: Moloch's Gamebook Garden.
- Reviews Den of Gamebook Reviews www
Reviews for various gamebooks. Den of Gamebook Reviews.
- Features Moloch's On-Line Gamebook www
Features Tomb Time by JH Brennan, On-Line Gamebook, and Doom and Gloom by Green Knight. Moloch's On-Line Gamebook.
- The Herbie Brennan's Bookshelf www
The homepage of the creator of the Grailquest and Fire*Wolf series. Herbie Brennan's Bookshelf.
- Fantasy Chronicles of Arborell www
Fantasy adventures set in the world of Arborell. Arborell. Features interactive gamebooks, companion novels, web serial fiction and an atlas. Chronicles of Arborell.
- A Lairs.com Gamebooks www
A shopping site with descriptions of all the titles on sale. Lairs.com Gamebooks.
- Discussion Yahoo Groups: Gamebooks www
Discussion list devoted to all forms of printed interactive fiction. Yahoo Groups: Gamebooks.
- Adventure Adventure Games Hall of Fame, The www
Adventure game spoilers, Games Hall of Fame, The, walkthroughs, tips, hints, solutions, pictures and reviews. Adventure Games Hall of Fame, The.
- While How Adventure Games Age www
While graphic adventure games tend to look very dated very quickly, Adventure Games Age, text adventures still seem fresh a decade after they were written. By Stephen Granade. How Adventure Games Age.
- Add Iamcal Network www
Add the next segment to the story in this rambling online adventure game about what happens after someone knocks at the door. Iamcal Network.
- A The Nameless Forest www
A fantasy "choose your own adventure"/adoption site. The Nameless Forest.
- Contains ADnD Downloads www
Contains resources such as new spells, Downloads, classes, and feats. Accepts submissions. ADnD Downloads.
- Information Dominus Dracon Digitalis Delectare www
Information on digital games, Dracon Digitalis Delectare, motion pictures and utilities for this system. Dominus Dracon Digitalis Delectare.
- Play Fighting Fantasy Project - Online Gamebooks www
Play original FF titles online using the FBOOK system. Fighting Fantasy Project - Online Gamebooks.
- Includes The Oracle www
Includes a quiz and book solutions. The Oracle.
- Includes Desert Lynx's Oasis www
Includes a Giak dictionary and tutorial and other original information. Desert Lynx's Oasis.
- Message Yahoo! Groups: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf www
Message board and chat centered around this fantasy series. Yahoo! Groups: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf.
- A Yahoo! Groups: Lost Worlds Combat Book Game www
A fan club, Groups: Lost Worlds Combat Book Game, forum and chat. Yahoo! Groups: Lost Worlds Combat Book Game.
- Flying Lost Worlds www
Flying Buffalo publishes under license several of this series, Worlds, including books based on the Knights of the Dinner Table (KODT). Lost Worlds.
- John Styles of Roleplaying www
John H. Roleplaying. Kim's rec.games.frp.advocacy FAQ, dealing with abstract (no one system) and RPG classification issues. Styles of Roleplaying.
- News Pen & Paper www
News and reviews for current and upcoming roleplaying games. & Paper. Also features a RPG Database, release dates, message board, fonts, and gaming databases for Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars d20, Exalted, and World of Darkness. Pen & Paper.
- Alexa: Gamebooks Roleplaying
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Gamebooks Roleplaying
- DMOZ: Gamebooks Roleplaying
dmoz.org Directory: Gamebooks Roleplaying